The Hammond Typewriter Company was founded in 1880 in New York City. The company moved a few times but eventually settled on the East River, between East 69th and 70th streets.
It would occupy several locations in Manhattan, eventually settling between 69th and 70th Streets, on the East River.
The company produced at least ten models under the Hammond brand between 1880 and 1923. The company was later renamed Varityper, and after its purchase by Ralph C. Coxhead, took off in a new direction. The Varityper company would continue until 1970, but inside it was always a Hammond.