The Hammond Typewriter company produced numerous machines between 1880 and 1920. Below are some of those machines.
The Hammond 1 began life in 1880 at the Colt Armory in Hartford, Connecticut. James Bartlett Hammond received patents on the escapement, and hammer system while working at Colt, perfecting his type-writing machine. From there the company opened offices in New York City.
The Hammond 1 is notable because it was the only model to feature a full cabinet around its base.
1a. More practical without the cabinet, still a split shuttle.
The Anvil and Shuttle which introduced the single type element that moved around a metal ring, called the anvil.
The No. 2
Dropped the big ebony keys. Moved to a single shuttle.
The No. 12. There’s no clear evidence for why it’s called the 12 instead of, say, the 3 but it’s possible that because some loved the 1, some loved the 2, they put them into one machine and called it the 12. Either which the 12 is when the backspace was added.
An obvious step. The Multiplex, capable of carrying to shuttles on the anvil instead of just one, along with other improvements.
Evolution of excellence. Woodrow Wilson’s green Hammond.
The Electric Hammond. Every 92nd keystroke a small sewing machine motor would wind the mainspring.